Job: Health and Safety Lead
Job Type: Full time, Salaried
Location: Leadville, CO.
Climax Molybdenum is the world’s leading producer of molybdenum and has a long, successful history of doing business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner. We have operated in Colorado for more than 100 years and today have mining and milling operations near Leadville, Kremmling and Empire. Our Climax mine is located between Frisco and Leadville. Our Henderson mine and mill are an hour’s drive apart – separated by the Continental Divide and a 15-mile conveyor system (10 miles is underground). The Henderson mine is about 50 miles west of Denver and 10 miles west of Empire, and the mill is located between Dillon and Kremmling. Climax Molybdenum has the assets, drive and financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers. Take time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at one of our sites – the Climax mine and the Henderson mine and / or mill. Live life at the top!
Engage primarily with the frontline workforce to raise awareness of health and safety policies, risks and controls. Facilitate processes in the Health Safety Management System, including incident investigations and hazard assessments to ensure compliance with government laws and regulations, and company policies.
- Directs employee engagement activities such as risk assessments and raising general safety awareness to employees, managers, and other stakeholders.
- Leads safety audits and inspects facilities within area of responsibility to ensure a safe working environment and compliance with regulatory laws.
- Manages Health and Safety functions or projects.
- Trains staff from multiple divisions in safety procedures, including specialized safety training (e.g., confined space, LOTOTO) and Annual Refresher Training as required.
- Inspects and evaluates work in progress, identifies any problem areas, and may direct remedial action.
- Participates on cross-function teams to manage moderately complex incident investigation and root cause analysis.
- Accompanies MSHA/OSHA/State Mine Inspectors and document regulated field activities.
- Conducts health and safety orientations, visit work sites and distribute literature to implement and promote safety and/or environmental policies and procedures.
- May administer workers’ compensation program for the company, including interacting with workers’ compensation insurers, monitoring claims, developing and administering loss prevention and rehabilitation management/monitoring programs, maintain files, and provide necessary support in defense of claims.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Leading personnel and/or projects, AND
- High School diploma or GED and five (5) years of experience in Health Safety or related, OR
- Associate’s degree and three (3) years of experience in Health Safety or related, OR
- Bachelor’s degree and one (1) year of experience in Health Safety or related, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical mining related discipline with at least one summer internship experience (or equivalent) working in mining or industrial environment
At Freeport, we are committed to providing an employment package that recognizes excellence, rewards value and impact, and encourages safe production. Benefits and compensation are foundational elements of this package, along with career development opportunities, job progression and a culture supported by our core values, among others.
We provide an industry-leading benefits package with some of the lowest cost to employees – offering health, wellness, life insurance, paid time off, retirement savings and more. These benefits are available to you and your dependents starting day one. Our comprehensive benefits program is important to how we support the health and wellness of employees and their families.
Compensation: The estimated annual pay range for this role is currently $69,000 - $94,000. This range reflects base salary only and does not include bonus payments, benefits or retirement contributions. Actual base pay is determined by experience, qualifications, skills and other job-related factors. This role is eligible for additional discretionary and incentive payment considerations based on company and individual performance. More details will be shared during the hiring process.
Safety / Work Conditions:
Candidates will be required to participate in a post-offer, pre-employment medical examination for the following positions which may have essential job duties that can impact both their own safety and the safety of others:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel).
Equal Opportunity Employer
**Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “View Application” below for more detail on this specific job.