Job: Director of Planning and Zoning
Job Type: Full time, Salaried
Location: Canon City, CO.
Manages, coordinates and supervises all aspects of the Planning and Zoning Department regarding application and enforcement of zoning and subdivision regulations, medical marijuana licensing and other land uses within the County to ensure the prompt and efficient operation of the office. Works with the County Manager, County Attorney, Board of County Commissioners and the Planning Commission to establish regulations and policies to promote the health, safety, welfare, quality of life and protection of land values for the citizens and properties within unincorporated Fremont County. Develops long range land use goals, generates and implements policies and regulations to obtain those goals through communication with residents, officials and agencies, administration and enforcement of policies and regulations for the betterment of Fremont County. Responsible for the implementation and enforcement of all Planning and Zoning policies and regulations for all aspects of medical marijuana facilities including commercial facilities, caregiver cultivation and home cultivation to include licensing, tracking and monitoring them for the County and provide oversight of all work completed by departmental employees in the regulation and licensing of medical marijuana facilities. Responsible for the implementation and enforcement of all Planning and Zoning policies and regulations for all aspects of recreational marijuana home grow operations. Provide oversight of all work completed by department employees in the regulation of recreational marijuana home grow operations. Accepts, reviews and prepares responses or recommendations to applications for medical marijuana licensing, zone change requests, subdivision applications, conditional use permits, temporary use permits, special review use permits, non-conformance requests and Board of Zoning Adjustments. Reviews and submits recommendations to fee schedules for all types of applications accepted by the department. Adopts changes and ensures departmental employees are collecting appropriate fees with applications. Ensures enforcement of local Zoning Resolution. Accepts complaints and investigates complaints involving the Zoning Resolution. Issues notices of violation to parties investigated and found in non-compliance. Follows up to ensure future compliance. Issues responses to the party filing the complaint. Performs functions of a Code Enforcement Officer, on an as needed basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Business Administration or Public Administration, or closely related field from an accredited college or university; or six (6) to ten (10) years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preferred experience in plan review, zoning administration, surveying and development consultancy.
- Valid and current Colorado Driver’s License.
- Complete County Application by the closing date and time.
- Submit hard copy to address or fax number above.
- Submit electronically at www.fremontco.com, follow the instructions on the Employment Opportunities link.
- Ensure you submit any additional information requested in this posting. Incomplete applications will not receive consideration.
Applicants selected to participate in the interview process will be the only candidates contacted.
The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “Visit” below for more detail on this specific job.