Job: Cemetary Sexton
Job Type: Full time, Hourly
Location: Florence, CO.
Salary and Benefits: The City of Florence Public Works Department is seeking a new Cemetery Sexton. The hourly rate ranges from $16.04-$18.60/hour, DOE . Full-time benefits include health, dental, vision, retirement, and supplemental insurance.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Public Works, performs a variety of tasks including interments, disinterment’s, transfers, stone settings and general upkeep and maintenance of the City cemetery in accordance with the rules and regulations as set forth in the ordinances of the City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts general maintenance and repair of cemetery grounds and buildings
- Prepares burial sites for interments, disinterment’s and transfer of bodies and the burial of cremains
- Operates a variety of equipment including dump truck, backhoe, rotary mower, push mower, trimmers, and other equipment to maintain the upkeep of the cemetery
- Performs maintenance works on buildings and fences, repairing or applying paint as needed
- Performs minor maintenance functions such a safety checks, oil changes, minor engine repair, and blade and belt changes on mowers
- Ensures that all burials are accompanied by proper burial permit or transit permit
- Maintains proper burial records
- Meets the public and gives accurate information regarding location of burials
- Supervises cemetery laborers and seasonal workers
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring all duty items listed previously are taken care of properly and efficiently
- Responsible for the mowing, trimming, watering, seeding and fertilization of cemetery grounds
- Responsible for the installation, operations, and maintenance of the sprinkling system
- Responsible for the opening and closing of graves and setting up for all burials
- Responsible for the setting of concrete foundations for all stone markers
- Responsible to know the rules and regulations which govern the cemetery operation
- Responsible for knowing safety rules and regulations regarding the proper use of all tools and equipment
- Responsible for instructing laborers on the proper use of all equipment with safety as the primary focus
- Responsible for cooperating with supervisor, other departments and co-workers with the overall benefit of the City as the primary focus
- Responsible for planning, scheduling and organization of self and subordinates
- Responsible for following up on all tasks performed by self and those delegated to others
- Responsible for helping and giving information regarding the cemetery to the public
Applications may be picked up at City Hall, 600 West 3rd Street, Florence, CO 81226. You can return the application physically or forward to [email protected]
**Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “View Application” below for more detail on this specific job.