Job Type: Hourly
Location: Canon City, CO.
Prepares and recommends annual budget and monitors expenditures. Works with Fleet Supervisor to purchase and maintain an inventory of fuels, tires, parts, tools, culverts and other equipment. Inspects roads, culverts, bridges and ditches to determine drive-ability and maintenance needs, reports missing or damaged road signs to Traffic Services, and inspects quality and engineering design standards of work performed by contractors within County rights-of-ways to ensure standards are met. Prepares and submits daily, weekly and annual reports of time and materials devoted to each project. Meets with public to respond to questions and resolve problems concerning the County’s highways. Collaborates with the Director and other Supervisors to develop and implement standards, communicate County policies/procedures, develops and initiates safety training, monitor testing and certification requirements and develop and implement countywide DOT operating procedures. Works with the Director and the County Engineer to interpret and implement engineering requirements into the maintenance and construction of roadways, bridges, easements, rights-of-way and drainage systems.
Roadway: Plans, directs and supervises Roadway maintenance and construction employees; prioritizes, schedules and assigns work; trains employees in safe operation of equipment, monitors work in progress and reviews/evaluates employee performance. Supervises the maintenance and construction of road surfaces.
Drainage: Supervises the maintenance of proper drainage on County roads. Oversees the construction, repair and maintenance of concrete construction as well as the installation of culverts and bridge reinforcements.
Ensures the cleaning of drainage ditches and rights-of-ways, installation and/or replacement of culverts in driveways and County roads.
Support and Safety: Supervises the removal of snow and sanding of major roads. Tracks incoming storms and inspects roads to determine the needs for plowing/maintenance.
Supervises the mowing of grass and trimming/removal of trees/brush in rights-of-way; monitors the growth of brush/weeds. Coordinates with the Utility Notification Center for the location of potential underground utilities. Verifies driveway permits and road cuts for utilities.
Performs other duties as assigned to meet department needs.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or GED plus two years of advanced engineering technology or infrastructure
- Construction training and four (4) to ten (10) years related experience and/or training; two of which include supervisory responsibility, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Colorado Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A with a tanker endorsement required.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Transportation. Directly supervises employees in the DOT. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Interviews, hires, trains employees; plans/assigns and directs work; evaluates employees performance/rewards/disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Is on call 24-hours/day/7 days a week to meet department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet department needs.
- Complete County Application by the closing date and time.
- Ensure you submit any additional information requested in this posting. Incomplete applications will not receive consideration.
Applicants selected to participate in the interview process will be the only candidates contacted.
Fremont County is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering an extensive benefits package of health, dental, and life insurance to all employees working 30 or more hours per week. Additional optional benefits of accident and critical illness plans, voluntary term life insurance, whole life insurance, Flexible Spending Account, short/long term disability plan, an Employee Assistance Program and Legal Shield options. Vacation, Sick Leave and paid holidays earned based on type of appointment. Mandatory participation, after 12 months of employment, into the Colorado Retirement Association of 3% with equal match. Optional 457 plan.
The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “Visit” below for more detail on this specific job.