Job: Mild to Moderate Needs Special Education Teacher
Job type: Part time, Salaried
Location: Canon City, CO.
Benefits Include: Health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, PERA retirement, paid time off, as well as other optional benefit elections. Preschool options available for employees with children. Paid Parental Leave. Longevity and professional development incentives. College reimbursements for staff attending college courses.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS:
- Current Colorado Teacher License, Special Education Endorsement, or be eligible to apply
- Must have a Bachelor Degree or higher
- K-3 Teacher Evidence-Based Reading Training Requirement and/or willingness to obtain within the first year of employment
- Understands and demonstrates classroom management/instructional strategies to support student achievement
- Integrated Technology skills to support the content areas
- Knowledge of child and adolescent development
- Knowledge of subject areas curriculum, and standards-based education
- Knowledge of special education as applied to the needs of the students assigned to the teacher’s particular areas
- Experience in small group instruction, pull-out, and inclusive delivery models
- Knowledge of the general organization and functions of a public school system
- Ability to communicate effectively and resolve conflict with students, parents, and community groups
- Effective organization and communication skills
- Must be MANDT trained (training provided)
- Able to remain calm in stressful situations
- Must pass pre-employment physical, including lifting 50lbs
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with regular education staff and specialists
- Familiarity with writing and implementing individual education plans
- Willingness to be trained and facilitate small groups using Lindamood Bell strategies
- Ability to supervise support staff
- Ability to read, write in order to comply with directions and instructions to complete task and establish priorities.
- Possess skills to be able to utilize basic technology as directed by the District to communicate and function effectively.
Teachers are held to high expectations for their performance to ensure success of the individual and the District in serving students and the community. Teachers are held to the District’s Licensed Personnel Performance Evaluation System that consists of the State’s Quality Standards, elements, and performance indicators which point to fulfillment of the teaching responsibility. A teacher’s demonstrated effectiveness is based on the following standards:
- Quality Standard I: Teachers demonstrate mastery of and pedagogical expertise in the content they teach.
- Quality Standard II: Teachers establish a safe, inclusive and respectful learning environment for a diverse population of students.
- Quality Standard III: Teachers plan and deliver effective instruction and create an environment that facilitates learning for their students
- Quality Standard IV: Teachers demonstrate professionalism through ethical conduct, reflection, and leadership.
TO APPLY: A district application must be completed online at https://www.canoncityschools.org/departments/human-resources/employment .
Anticipated Timeline for Hiring: Screening of applications will begin March 8th. Open until Filled Applications must be complete and submitted to be considered.
**Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “Visit” below for more detail on this specific job.