Job: Maintenance Technician I
Job Type: Full time, Hourly
Location: Salida, CO.
Under close supervision, primarily responsible for preventative maintenance and repair of the hybrid fiber coax network (HFC), including all of its associated equipment in accordance with the company’s Engineering Standards and Network Protection Policy.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Read and accurately interpret system/network design maps.
- Verify as built documentation; compare findings in the field with existing documentation and report findings following local process Install and replace HFC physical plant network components such as coax, actives, passives, grounding systems, pedestals, riser guards, conduit etc., according to technical specifications; splice coax
- Monitor and report signal leakage and complete repairs as required; identify and repair upstream and downstream ingress
- Read and interpret equipment schematics
- As directed, complete end of line network testing to meet technical specifications; regularly test all HFC network components using test equipment including: signal level meters, volt-ohm meters, leakage detector, Time Domain Reflector (TDR) and other related test equipment
- Perform routine maintenance, troubleshoot and update records of standby power supplies according to technical specifications
- Troubleshoot and repair basic distribution problems associated with RF, AC and DC elements of the forward and reverse plant; report drop related problems
- Perform basic telephony troubleshooting to support medical no dial tones
- Communicate with TAC/Dispatch to update progress on escalated tickets
- Resolve system outages as directed
- Maintain accurate records including time worked, daily logs, gas sheets, as required; properly record all required information on data devices and/or work orders, surveys, referrals, etc.
- Operate company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
- Clean, maintain stock and secure assigned vehicle and equipment, in accordance with company policies
- Adhere to company, industry, local, state and federal regulations and standards, as applicable
- Know, understand and follow company policy
- Communicate with Inside Plant (ISP) personnel to optimize plant performance and confirm resolution of repairs
- Under supervision, optimize HFC optical nodes
- May collaborate with construction personnel on new build and plant modifications, as directed
- Under supervision, set up amplifier (unity gain) and complete distribution sweep (frequency response)
- Perform other duties as requested
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward and professional manner
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and electronics
- Ability to safely use weight-bearing equipment (such as gaffs, safety harness and ladders) within the maximum weight limitations of that equipment
- Ability to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder (approx. 32 ft high and 90 pounds)
- Ability to climb poles using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Ability to dig in all types of soil to bury cable
- Ability to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting
- Ability to operate appropriate computer or test equipment associated with position
- Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs)
- Ability to use hand tools, test tools and web based tools
- Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including gaffs, ladders, and fully loaded tool belts
- Ability to work while standing 50 - 70% of the time
- Ability to work with small components and wires to make cable connections
High school diploma or equivalent work experience
Certifications and/or Licenses
Valid driver's license with satisfactory driving record within Company required standards
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Basic understanding of HFC networks
- Basic understanding of RF, AC, DC
- Basic understanding of customer premise network
- Experience with splicing coax cable
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Broadband industry and vendor specific certifications and training (NCRI, SCTE)
Related Work Experience
Telecommunications Installation/Service Coax and/or fiber network installation and maintenance
- Work outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night
- Work performed near power lines and electricity
- Work performed at various heights above ground on telephone/power poles
- Work and travel in inclement weather
- Exposure to dust, dirt, noise, insects, rodents, pets, and cleaning solutions
- Work indoors in confined and/or poorly ventilated areas such as basements, crawlspaces, utility closets etc.
- Secondary on-call rotation may be required
EOE Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability Here, employees don’t just have jobs, they build careers. That’s why we believe in offering a comprehensive pay and benefits package that rewards employees for their contributions to our success, supports all aspects of their well-being, and delivers real value at every stage of life.
The actual salary offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your skills, qualifications, experience and location. Also, certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonuses. Get to Know Us Charter Communications is known in the United States by our Spectrum brands, including: Spectrum Internet®, TV, Mobile and Voice, Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach. When you join us, you’re joining a strong community of more than 93,000 individuals working together to serve more than 32 million customers in 41 states and keep them connected to what matters most. Watch this video to learn more. Who You Are Matters Here We’re committed to growing a workforce that reflects our communities, and providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement. EOE, including disability/vets. Learn about our inclusive culture.
**Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “Visit” below for more detail on this specific job.