Job: IT Help Desk Technician
Job Type: Full time, Salaried
Location: Salida, CO.
The I.T. Help Desk Technician provides maintenance and support for every aspect of electronic equipment such as computer hardware, software, networking and telephony. The person in this position will perform general technical support functions, including physical installation, assembly, configuration and maintenance of hardware and software at the workstation level. The technician position will work under the supervision of the Administrator or designee. This person will work with a great deal of independence to establish daily and weekly work order priorities, and performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES: The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The county reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time.
- Serves as the first point of contact for employees seeking technical assistance over tools such as an internal ticketing system, phone, email or in person
- May perform remote troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and pertinent questions
- All work may be performed in County departments in multiple buildings; make trips between buildings for on-site support
- Installs, configures, and upgrades workstation operating systems and software
- Installs, assembles, and configures computers, monitors, and peripherals such as printers, scanners and related hardware
- Troubleshoots problems with computer systems including troubleshooting hardware and software, email, network and peripheral equipment problems; makes repairs and corrections when required
- Acts as a technical resource in assisting users to resolve problems with equipment and data; provides help desk functions to facilitate exchange of information and advice to fellow employees; implements solutions or notifies outsource providers as required
- Assists in instructing staff in the use of standard business and administrative software and hardware
- Maintains current knowledge of hardware, software and network technology
- Tracks all problems and request and documents resolutions
- Communicates unresolved issues to the next level of IT support
- Share responsibility of operational functions to support the County computer network when determined by administration
- Assist in planning, testing and implementation of system upgrades
- Assist with tracking software licenses to ensure compliance
- Develop and maintain quality documentation for applications, processes, and vendors; communicate with vendors on behalf of County to obtain quality support and service
- Stays current with system information, changes and updates
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Associate Degree from an accredited school in Computer Science (or related field) with a minimum of two years of general computer installation, maintenance and repair experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed.
- One to four years of work experience in an office environment is required
- Customer service oriented, patient, and friendly
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate in English, orally and in writing
- Ability to work under deadlines with interruptions, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and work productively with minimum supervision
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP
- Expert Windows desktop support
- Basic IP telephony principles
- LAN/WAN connectivity support
- Experience supporting Microsoft Office Suite
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: This Position Reports to: County Administrator or Designee Available for on-call (in coordination with other staff) for emergencies and unusual events.
EQUIPMENT USED: Experience supporting telephones, printers, cameras, microphones, cell phones, tablets and other office devices.
- Ability to conduct activities involving extensive sitting.
- Ability to lift and/or carry, push, pull burdens and DELICATE equipment weighting up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to grasp and manipulate office equipment, hand tools, and similar other tools and materials.
- Ability to conduct activities involving stooping, kneeling/bending, crouching, twisting, and reaching on a moderate basis.
- Ability to participate in routine conversation in person or via telephone, and distinguish telephone, printers, computers and other auditory tones.
- Ability to distinguish small objects at near and far distances in conditions of bright or low light. Ability to distinguish depth, and see objects in a wide field of vision.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: The majority of this position’s duties are performed within an indoor or a protected environment. The incumbent may be exposed to noise, mechanical and electrical and other related hazards associated with an office environment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Position deals with a variety of problems and sometimes has to decide which answer is best. The question/issue is typically clear and requires determination of which solution is the best for the situation including:
- Discuss and/or interpret information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people.
- Regularly provide technical advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues to non-technical staff or limited IT skills.
- Resolve problems within established practices and budgetary constraints.
- Provide support to the entire organization and interface with Administration and Elected Officials.
**Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “Visit” below for more detail on this specific job.