Job: Equipment Operator Trainee
Job Type: Part time, Hourly
Location: Leadville, CO.
Climax Molybdenum is the world’s leading producer of molybdenum and has a long, successful history of doing business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner. We have operated in Colorado for more than 100 years and today have mining and milling operations near Leadville, Kremmling and Empire. Our Climax mine is located between Frisco and Leadville. Our Henderson mine and mill are an hour’s drive apart – separated by the Continental Divide and a 15-mile conveyor system (10 miles is underground). The Henderson mine is about 50 miles west of Denver and 10 miles west of Empire, and the mill is located between Dillon and Kremmling. Climax Molybdenum has the assets, drive and financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers. Take time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at one of our sites – the Climax mine and the Henderson mine and / or mill. Live life at the top!
Under direct supervision, this entry level position will provide basic training for several careers within Freeport to support operations and/or maintenance areas in an industrial setting (e.g. Mill, Mine, Tailings, Haulage, etc). Once trained to basic skills, duties may include the operation of mobile heavy and light equipment in support of production including de-watering, materials delivery, maintaining berms, surface maintenance and general work area cleaning and orderly duties. The position will work in environments where there are many activities taking place at one time and where work tasks change many times during a work shift. The primary objective is safe production in a part-time schedule. Varied work schedules are available.
- Operation of mobile equipment (e.g. haul trucks, forklifts, track dozers, water trucks, front-end loaders, pipe handling trucks, and maintenance carrier service trucks).
- May assist with blasting activities
- Performs handling, lifting and/or transport of materials such as tools and equipment via light vehicle and haul roads.
- May assist with and perform regular work area audits and note and report any issues and/or concerns.
- Performs equipment and/or facility maintenance.
- Responsible for receiving materials from the warehouse and delivering to appropriate locations within the mine facilities.
- Assists with and performs surface operations such as: unloading trucks, unloading material bins, and arranging truck deliveries.
- Performs work area cleaning and orderly duties.
- Does not manage people, function, projects or programs.
- Performs other duties as required.
- No previous experience required
- Required to follow all site safety and proper procedures
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures and applicable safety standards
- Must have completed academic and practical competencies required (this includes Line of Progression requirements for internal employees where LOP Exists) and have experience demonstrating the required aptitude.
- The selected candidate shall demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge and skills while also passing a written assessment where required. This exam is based on skills/abilities and/or academic knowledge; as well as safety.
- High School Diploma or GED
- This is a safety sensitive position Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hart hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required.
- Employee may be required to work in environments that may include exposure to extreme temperatures, humidity, dust, noise, fumes, and gases While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on uneven work surfaces and work on elevated platforms
- May be required to work a non-standard schedule which may include shift work (other than day shift) in a 24/7/365 operation
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Benefits & Compensation
The company provides a competitive and comprehensive benefits package offering health and welfare benefits, paid time off, retirement, and more. These benefits are available to you and your eligible dependents on your first day of employment. Some of your benefits are company paid, and you will pay a portion of other benefits. The company pays the greatest portion of your benefits, passing along only a fraction of the total cost to employees.
Rate of pay dependent on competency, experience, qualifications and skills Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability