Job: Dining Services III
Job Type: Full time, Hourly
Location: Florence, CO,
If your goal is to build a career that makes a difference, consider joining the dedicated people of the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS). Our professionals strive to design and deliver high quality human and health services that improve the safety, independence, and well-being of the people of Colorado.
Our Culture Environment: We believe in a people-first approach: To serve the people of Colorado, we develop a culture and work environment that creates an energized, inspired, and healthy team capable of giving their best to Coloradans. Balance creates quality of life: We want our team to be resilient through a supportive workplace that values flexibility, health and wellness, and employee engagement.
We hold ourselves accountable: We take responsibility through our actions, programs, and results for the state of health and human services in Colorado. Transparency matters: We are open and honest with employees, our partners, the Coloradans we serve, and the public.
We are ethical: We abide by what is best for those we serve by doing what is right, not what is easy. Collaboration helps us rise together: We work together with all partners, employees, and clients to achieve the best outcomes for Coloradans.
Bruce McCandless State Veterans Community Living Center is a State-owned and operated skilled-nursing facility dedicated to serving those who have served us. We strive to provide excellent customer service and to respect and honor resident choices regarding bathing, rising, bedtimes, and other personal decisions. Our philosophy is to provide residents a home where life and love abound. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
Description of Job
The potential shifts for this position are 5:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. OR 10:15 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. This position will most likely be assigned to the 5:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. shift. **Please note: Shifts will vary based on the needs of the department.**
The position exists to produce, serve and/or deliver three nutritionally balanced meals and snacks per day in an efficient, friendly manner to elders living in our facility. The meals will be served in a pleasant and timely manner at the proper consistency. The position unit also exists to maintain a safe and sanitary kitchen and dining room following State and federal guidelines and regulations.
Primary Duties include:
- Prepare assigned meal in its entirety: Prepare soups, gravies and sauces as indicated on menu. Bake both quick and yeast bread. Prepare entrée and side dishes. Prepare desserts and other pastry products. Prepare assorted salads as directed. Prepare foods for special functions.
- Set-up and Serving: Set up and serve steamtable. Set up room trays checking for accuracy of therapeutic diets. Serve portion size as indicated on menu.
- Monitoring Documentation: Check for correct temperature of food items. Maintain temperature charts for food and refrigeration, and meal count tally. Record concentration of sanitizing solutions.
- Sanitation: Responsible for the sanitation of serving line. Clean and sanitize kitchen work area. Check and restock supplies according to menu. Sweep floor, Wash pots and pans.
- Administrative: Order special bread or milk products, groceries and juice and soda. Attend mandatory and non mandatory inservices for department and facility. Communicate pertinent information to Food Service Manager. Be a resource to nutritional service staff by advising others on food preparation and equipment use.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment
Education and Experience: Two years of experience in dining services or an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position.
- Possession of Food Certification(s)
- Cooking Experience
- Experience working in a long-term care environment
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
Conditions of Employment:
- Full Background: Name check, Fingerprinting, CAP
- Must pass TB test.
- This position is considered "essential service" and you will be required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare.
- This position has shift work: day, evening and night shifts to include holiday and weekends
- This position may require use, handling, or exposure to hazardous materials, including cleaning supplies.
- Former State employees who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination must disclose the information on the application and provide an explanation why the prior termination or resignation should not disqualify the applicant from the current position. Absent extraordinary circumstances, prior disciplinary termination or resignation in lieu of termination will disqualify the applicant from future State employment with CDHS.
- As a condition of employment, this position is required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Continued employment is therefore contingent upon your receiving the first dose of a two-dose vaccine, or a single dose vaccine, within the first 30 calendar days of the first day of work and becoming fully vaccinated based upon the timelines associated with the vaccination type. Until fully vaccinated, you will be required to follow all testing and PPE protocols. Be advised that “fully vaccinated” means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health Environment. Religious and medical exemptions and reasonable accommodation will be addressed as required by law pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s vaccination guidance. If you would like to request a medical or religious exemption, please contact [email protected]
*REMINDER: This job announcement will serve as an application pool for available positions that now exist or may exist in the future, including part and full-time positions.
Appeal Rights: If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging. Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb. A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
How to Apply (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY) Please note that ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed during the initial screening; if you submit a resume and cover letter, they will be reviewed in later stages of the selection process. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all of your relevant experience in the work experience section of the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered. Your application will be reviewed against the minimum qualifications for the position. If your application demonstrates that you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be invited to the comparative analysis process, which is described below.
Note: Current and former employees (transfers, voluntary demotions and reinstatements) are required to apply and participate in the comparative analysis process. Comparative Analysis Process The comparative analysis process for this position may consist of a structured application review, and a structured interview depending on the number of qualified applicants. For recruiting questions, please contact [email protected] The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply.
The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. ADAAA Accommodations: CDHS is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Nancy Schmelzer, at [email protected] or call 1-800-929-0791. Any person with a disability as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To request an accommodation, please contact by phone 1-800-929-0791 or email ADA Coordinator at [email protected] at least five business days before the assessment date to allow us to evaluate your request and prepare for the accommodation. You may be asked to provide additional information, including medical documentation, regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed. Please ensure that you have this information available well in advance of the assessment date.
**Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee, time to time; the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands. Click “Visit” below for more detail on this specific job.